I recently tried explaining how this phenomena will occur and was shocked to discover it is NOT a simple matter. Here's how I proceeded:
1. I took an upright globe and simulated the Earth's rotation (west to east) by slowly turning it in a left-to-right motion.
2. I also positioned a flashlight facing the globe along the equator in a dimly lit room to simulate light coming from the Sun.
3. I then held the globe at a 90 degree tilt away from the flashlight while maintaining rotation such that only the South Pole was illuminated by the flashlight, simulating the 3 Days of Darkness.
4. To simulate 6 Days of Sunrise West, I tipped the globe further such that it was completely upside down while continuing to maintain the same direction of rotation.
5. What I found was the Sun CONTINUED to rise in the East, NOT the west! By noting which coast of the continents were illuminated first by the flashlight during the simulated rotation, the eastern coasts were STILL illuminated first, even though the globe was positioned upside down.
Bottom Line: When the time comes, I think it will be important to be able to explain the mechanics of 6 Days of Sunrise West CLEARLY in order to reduce panic and dispel claims that the Earth has somehow reversed her direction of rotation.
I invite explanations for this enigmatic event in clear terms and also ways to demonstrate the mechanics using a globe and flashlight or any other visual aids. This issue was covered at least once before during a GLP Live chat.
Howard, another example. Turn a tennis ball from right to left, mark the direction with a marking pen. The arrow on your ball will now show to the left.
Now keep on turning your tennis ball to the left, at the same time slowly turning it upside down, your tennis ball will now be turning in to the other direction. Still moving in the direction of the arrow of the marker pen.
That easy Lothar
Ok, imagine your eyes are the sun. On a piece of paper draw an arrow pointing left for the rotation of earth. Now, rotate your paper 180 degrees so the top of the paper is now the bottom (so that North is now South). The arrow should now be pointing to the right (Unless you have weird physics where you live?) representing that in the view from the sun the rotation appears reversed from what it was.
I tried to demonstrate for my husband using a can of peas with the arrows drawn around the "equator" of the can & the ends labeled N & S.
Although the following may not be completely accurate in that the earth will not turn 180 degrees, this will suffice in explaining this to people who have no idea what is going on:
"Right now our earth is spinning toward the rising sun which makes it appear as if the sun rises in the east. Planet X's larger magnetic core will grip the magnetic core of our earth in such a way that it will flip it upside down so that our earth will be spinning toward the setting sun. This will make it appear as if the sun were rising in the west."