A gas leak caused a fire Friday that displaced a Northeast El Paso family and injured three people, officials said.

On Saturday, fire investigators said a gas leak caused the Northeast home at 10700 Coral Sands, to explode into flames on Friday. The gas leak was located inside a closet in the garage.

The fire started after a gas line left open at the valve in the furnace/water heater closet and spread to the living room and a second floor.

A disabled woman, her teenage son and his girlfriend were inside the home during the fire.

After hearing the explosion, a neighbor rushed inside the home and removed the handicap woman from the home. The teenagers were able to leave the house on their own.

Two of the victims were taken to William Beaumont Medical Center and the other was taken to the University Medical Center.

All three suffered from second- and third-degree burns and smoke inhalation. They were later air lifted to the Lubbock Burn Center.

Officials said 46 firefighters responded to the fire Friday night and were able to contain it within 40 minutes.

The Red Cross of El Paso assisted the fire department.